Thursday, March 5, 2009

Auditions!

My god, three auditions over four days! What will I do with myself? Probably the usual.

Had the first one today, for a student film at NYU. I submitted for it on Actor's Access and they got back to me on there pretty quickly. I told them what time I'd like to be there, and that was the end of it. A couple days ago I commented to Amy that I thought it was strange I didn't have any sides or anything. Granted, the role is called Technician 2, but still. I get there today, and my name wasn't on the list. NYU desk guards are hardcore, so I had to call the casting guy to let him know I was downstairs. Turns out I fell through the cracks, and they didn't even know if I was coming in, but could "probably squeeze me in." Which made me feel just awesome about myself. The guy was nice but very awkward which didn't help me in an already awkward situation. Someone else auditioning told me in the green room that they'd sent out sides via email already, so I had to get a copy from someone. The director was nice, also awkward though less so than casting man. I felt pretty good about my reading. It was a super-short side, so there was only so much I could do. I feel like they'll go with someone nerdier. If someone nerdier showed up, anyway.

The audition tomorrow is actually through the agent that I thought I was done freelancing with, but she's called me twice in like three weeks now, after a break of a few months. It's for a non-union ESPN commercial. I expect it to be improvised and awkward. Probably cheering for a team I'm watching or something.

Then I have another student film audition I got through Actor's Access (which by the way is a website that shows breakdowns, and you fill in a profile and resume and upload a picture so you can submit for the parts electronically), this time at Columbia. So I have to head way up to the Upper West Side Sunday. I got the side for this one, and it's actually pretty good. Very dry absurd humor, very wordy, intellectual. I'm reading for a graduate TA. This is good, because I feel like my type has matured from college student to college TA (and in five years or so college professor). I'm mostly off-book already, and am working on what exactly is going on emotionally. I've actually auditioned for this same director before. Wonder if he remembers.

Anyway, I'll post breakdowns of the two auditions early next week. Here's hoping.

PS I'm focusing on these student films because I want more material for a reel. The question arises: when I have all the material I want, what next? I cut together a reel, then what? Audition for Spielberg? Not sure what the next step would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment