Monday, January 14, 2013

Writing, mailing, but no acting

Would that I could say my two auditions in the first week of 2013 panned out, but of course it's all quiet on the callback front.  And the new audition front.  And the agent front.  All fronts are generally mute, really.

I'm going to do a commercial mailing, I think.  I know it's not the best time to reach out to legit agents, due to pilot season, but I figure it never hurts to work the commercial angle.  Though I'm not sure exactly how busy the agents I'd be targeting for film and TV in NYC actually are right now, since pilot season tends to involve more established actors and I don't even know how much of an impact it makes in NYC, vs. LA.

Anyway, the mailing: I'm getting so close to Morgan Freeman's last parole speech in Shawshank with stuff like this.  It rarely gets me much traction, and I'm pretty sure they're not even looking at my cover letters, so I'm having a harder and harder time bullshitting through that part of it.  But it is the bare minimum one can do for oneself.  I'm pretty sure, and I'm not kidding about this, that I'm just going to do a quick "Hi, let's talk about commercial representation" intro and then give them these bullet points:
  • I'm relatively decent-looking
  • I'm fairly forgettable
  • I am hilarious
I honestly don't know what other traits people want in their commercial actors.  I mean yeah, I can improv and I have an approachable look and good voice and yada yada whatever.  But in my cover letters in previous mailings I've laid all that out, and where I've booked and where I've been called back and it's gotten me nothing, so I'm trying not to care in a fun, anything-goes way this time around.  We'll see if that energy shift makes a difference.

Actors and athletes are highly superstitious groups because despite all our preparation and talent we have almost no control over the outcome of our efforts.

I've written the first two episodes of the new season of The Agoraphobes, and I have solid ideas for at least two more.  It's going to be good.

Colin Fisher is many things to many people, but mostly he's an actor and writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment