Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Frustrations Encapsulated

In discussing my frustration with my career progress, or lack thereof, with Amy, I managed to explain it better than I ever had before. I said it's like I'm walking down a narrow road, and there's a large stone wall in front of me. All I have is a hammer, and I've been chipping away at the wall with absolutely no results, and I've got nothing else on me that will help. I just have to sit here and wait for someone else to hopefully come along and knock the wall down for me.

Basically, every piece of advice I've heard has been counteracted by someone else. You can try sending your headshot/resume to agents and casting directors, but most of them don't bother opening them. CDs don't usually call people in based on a headshot anyway; they'd prefer someone with representation. The best you can do on your own is off-off-Broadway; no industry people really come to stuff like that because there's so much of it and so much of it is so bad. You can spend money (from $35 to $500) to meet with or work with industry pros, but that gets very expensive very quickly and in my experience (the $35 experience), you have very little time with them. Where does that leave you? Sitting in your apartment writing a blog about how frustrated you are.

3 comments:

  1. There is a Buddhist bit of wisdom:

    "If we are facing the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking."

    If you'd like a more westernized mindset (from Thomas Edison, who failed 10,000 different ways before he made a working lightbulb):
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."

    I feel like I can be pithy. :-) I get my ass up at 3:30 a.m. seven days a week to do something that has, thus far, produced very little, other than extensive yawning, and always, always, a little bit of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a point. Or two. If you're not doing it for yourself, then for whom are you doing it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. right place, right time.

    ReplyDelete